Apopka standoff ends with 3 teens arrested, deputies say

Deputies: Residents of nearby homes evacuated out of precaution


APOPKA, Fla. – Detectives blocked off the area of Stuart Street and Woodland Drive in Apopka on Thursday afternoon after learning that a teenager sought by authorities had weapons hidden inside his home, investigators said.

Several armored vehicles could be seen surrounding the residence as Sky 6 flew over the scene just before 3 p.m. Neighbors were advised to evacuate from their homes as a safety precaution.

The situation on Thursday started when robbery detectives went to serve a juvenile custody order for a teen who was suspected to have played a role in a home invasion on April 7 in which a gun was involved, according to a statement from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office.


The robbery on April 7 took place at the Rock Springs Mobile Home Park, in the 100 block of West Virgil Street, deputies said.

On Thursday, detectives spoke with the suspect’s mother, who said her son was sleeping inside their house.

Authorities “had received credible information that the suspects who resided in the area also had weapons hidden inside the home,” according to the statement from deputies.

The standoff lasted several hours until the teenage suspect sought by deputies eventually surrendered.

As detectives investigated the area, they found two other teens suspected in the April 7 home invasion. Those teens were “secured and interviewed,” deputies said.

At last check, robbery detectives in Orange County had arrested three of the five suspects accused in the robbery. All three are minors, so their names are being withheld at this time.

Their ages are 14, 15 and 17.

The 14-year-old was arrested Monday night in connection with an armed home invasion and a police pursuit in Ocoee.

The investigation continues as deputies search for the two remaining suspects in the April 7 case.

“Searching the homes of the suspects, robbery detectives found and took four firearms and one gun, (which) was confirmed reported stolen on April 25, 2012 from the Belle Isle area,” detectives said in the emailed statement.

About the Authors: