ORLANDO, Fla. – Dozens of residents were forced out of their homes early Tuesday morning after a storage closet caught fire at an Orange County apartment complex.
The fire was reported just before 1 a.m. at the Commodore Place Apartments on Honour Road, south of Orlando.
According to Orange County Fire Rescue, the storage closet was located on the second floor of the building and is used for maintenance workers. The apartments sustained damage, officials said.
"It definitely could have been worse if we would've checked for 10 or more minutes. Luckily, the fire alarm went off, and we had a fire engine arrive on scene." Battalion Chief David Janssen said.
Residents spent hours outside as firefighters cleaned up debris from the storage closet.
The Red Cross said it is assisting 10 people who were displaced by the fire.
No injuries were reported.
UPDATE: @RedCross says 10 people have been displaced at the Commodor Place Apts after a storage closet caught on fire. Three units received water damage. Many remain without power but most residents are back inside. Details ahead at 6:30 a.m. @news6wkmg pic.twitter.com/yoZVf1daNb— Ezzy Castro (@EzzyCastro) November 20, 2018
Watch News 6 and stay with ClickOrlando.com for updates.