Flat iron causes fire at Renaissance Orlando hotel; 1,000 evacuated
No injuries; fire damage to one room
ORLANDO, Fla. – A flat iron left on in a hotel bathroom Thursday near SeaWorld Orlando caused a fire and 1,000 guests had to be evacuated, according to Orange County Fire Rescue officials.
Fire Rescue responded to the Renaissance Orlando on Sea Harbor Drive for a fire reported in a seventh-floor hotel room. Officials said the cause of the fire was a hair straightener that had been left on in a guest bathroom.
One room sustained fire damage but no one was injured. A few rooms on the floor below the fire sustained some water damage from the sprinkler system.
More than 1,000 hotel guests were evacuated briefly as a precaution, according to fire rescue officials.
No further information was provided. Check back for updates.
Copyright 2019 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.