Edgewater home destroyed after explosion, inferno
State fire marshal to investigate blaze
EDGEWATER, Fla. – A mobile home in Volusia County was destroyed by fire early Tuesday, but no one was injured, officials said.
The fire was reported at 2:30 a.m. at the Terra Mar Village in Edgewater.
Sherman Jones, who said he lived at the home for three years, told News 6 that he was sitting on his steps outside when heard an explosion.
Volusia County Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Matt Smitherman said 75% of the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived.
Investigators said the fire appeared to be accidental and started in the bedroom, possibly by a cigarette.
The state fire marshal will investigate the blaze.
The American Red Cross was notified to assist Jones.
BREAKING: A man made it out alive after his mobile home went up in flames in Edgewater this morning.— Ezzy Castro (@EzzyCastro) September 17, 2019
Volusia Co fire rescue say fire was caused by smoking in the bedroom.
We will have a live report in minutes @news6wkmg pic.twitter.com/Ku2mUPymQX
I spoke to the victim off camera.— Ezzy Castro (@EzzyCastro) September 17, 2019
He said he lived here for three years and that everything is pretty much gone.
Also said he was sitting on his steps outside when he heard an explosion.
Firefighters are still at the scene.
More on this at 6 a.m. @news6wkmg pic.twitter.com/Oi8v8mg6HO
Watch News 6 for updates.
Copyright 2019 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.