ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – A sleeping woman woke up to flames in her home at an Orange County apartment complex.
Orange County Fire Rescue crews were at the scene of the fire at the Cranes Landing apartments on Goldenrod Road before 6 a.m. Wednesday.
According to fire officials, three people, including the 32-year-old woman, were rescued from at least two different apartments.
It was the woman's bottom unit that caught fire and prompted an evacuation of the building after a pot on the stove was left on, fire officials said. She was awakened by the sound of her smoke alarm, fire crews said.
"I can't breathe. Like, I was inside, I had no idea what was going on," the woman said in a 911 call. "I just opened a window, I threw up inside and, like, I am looking inside and my apartment is literally on fire inside."
The woman was coughing heavily during the 911 call and stayed outside but expressed concern for her neighbors.
The woman was in serious condition when she was taken to a nearby hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, crews said. Fire officials said around 10:45 a.m. that she had been released from the hospital and is expected to be OK.
The other two victims who had to be rescued lived in the unit above the apartment that caught fire, officials said.
#breaking: One building being evacuated at Cranes Landing. Witnesses say bottom unit was on fire @news6wkmg pic.twitter.com/h0OyzEjofd— Justin Campbell (@JCampbellNews6) October 16, 2019
Fire crews said one kitten was rescued from a cupboard in the woman's bathroom and at least five other cats were also saved from another apartment.
According to fire officials, the woman was sleeping when the fire started. Officials said the fire was put out within 10 minutes.
The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental, fire officials said.
Orange County Fire Rescue officials posted a video on Twitter showing the damage caused by the flames.
#VIDEO Goldenrod fire: a look inside the first-floor apartment where a woman was sleeping when the fire broke out. The 911 call was received at 5:31 a.m. @OrangeCoFL Fire Station 63, which is just over 1/2 mile from the fire, was first on scene and kept the fire from spreading. pic.twitter.com/fqfTGJ67CY— OCFire Rescue (@OCFireRescue) October 16, 2019