Woman arrested after 11-month-old daughter dies of fentanyl exposure

Ises Sellers charged with aggravated manslaughter of a child

Ises Sellers (WKMG 2021)

PORT ORANGE, Fla. – A Port Orange woman was arrested Friday after it was determined her 11-month-old daughter died in January due to exposure to the synthetic opioid, fentanyl, according to police.

Port Orange police began investigating the young girl’s death on Jan. 28. Her death was later confirmed to be caused by exposure to the deadly controlled substance and police obtained a warrant on July 16 for her mother, Ises Sellers, 26.

[TRENDING: Judge puts hold on lifting CDC’s no sail order | How Jeff Bezos will soar into space | ‘Virus not over us:’ COVID hospitalizations increase]

According to the arrest affidavit, the girl’s grandmother was in the area and decided to stop by and see her grandchildren on the evening off Jan. 28. When she arrived she found the toddler in her car seat. The child was blue, according to the report. The grandmother told investigators she took the girl out of her car seat and began chest compressions and told Sellers to call 911.

Sellers’ boyfriend told investigators that Sellers was 10-weeks pregnant, according to the affidavit. He said they had not used heroin recently but that he has a prescription for the opioid medication Suboxone and he keeps the tablets in the master bedroom, according to the report.

When Sellers’ boyfriend spoke to officers, he said he went to Walgreens and when he came home, Luna and Sellers were napping, according to authorities. When they went to wake the toddler, she was having trouble keeping her head up, officials said.

Sellers told detectives she and her daughter took a nap and when she went to sleep her daughter was lying on her “chest to chest,” the affidavit stated. She told detectives she had given her daughter Zarbees cold medication for children because she had a cold, according to officials.

When asked why they did not call 911 at that point, the boyfriend said, “I guess we could’ve. 911 is just very expensive and I thought we would get there faster,” according to authorities.

As the couple was discussing taking Luna to the hospital, her grandmother arrived and called 911, according to the report.

Paramedics arrived and attempted life-saving measures before taking her to Halifax Hospital for treatment. She was later pronounced dead, the report stated.

However, text messages from both the boyfriend and Sellers show the couple had been discussing using drugs as recently as Jan. 24, officials said. The boyfriend had recently spent $1,800, some of which was on drugs, according to the report.

A 5-year-old girl was also at home when the toddler was exposed to the drug, according to the report.

Sellers was arrested Friday on a charge of aggravated manslaughter of a child. She is also charged with possession of cocaine, escape and resisting without violence.

Jail records show her bail has been set at $100,000.