Florida man used antifreeze to poison neighbors’ cats, dog, deputies say

Deputies found bowl of tuna mixed with antifreeze near suspect’s home

Jeremy Stromwall, 36. (Marion County Sheriff's Office)

DUNNELLON, Fla. – A Dunnellon man was arrested Wednesday, accused of using antifreeze to poison his neighbors’ pets, according to the Marion County Sheriff’s Office.

Jeremy Stromwall, 36, is facing four counts of aggravated animal cruelty.

[TRENDING: Newborn surrendered in Safe Haven Baby Box | Person of interest ID’d in Mount Dora double-homicide | Biggest shows coming to Central Florida stages | McDonald’s Coke tastes better. Here’s why | Become a News 6 Insider]

The sheriff’s office said several cats and a dog in the neighborhood of SW 84th Lane had died from similar symptoms since October.

Necropsies on the remains of four of the animals determined they had died from ethylene glycol poisoning, likely caused by ingesting antifreeze.

Deputies said they located a bowl of tuna near Stromwall’s home that was mixed with antifreeze. They also got tips that Stromwall had made statements about harming cats in the neighborhood.

When they executed a search warrant for Stromwall’s residence, deputies said they found three containers of antifreeze, several cans of tuna and fish-flavored rat poison.

According to an arrest affidavit, one neighbor who lived in the same duplex as Stromwall said he noticed cats were “dropping like flies” in the neighborhood and at one time, Stromwall said he was trying to get rid of cats before they attacked his chickens.

Stromwall remains in custody at Marion County Jail.

Antifreeze is a sweet-tasting, odorless liquid that is extremely toxic to animals. Signs of antifreeze poisoning may appear at least 30 minutes after ingestion but may take hours.

According to the Pet Poison Helpline, the early symptoms include staggering when moving as if they were drunk, seizures and depression. They may also drink a lot of water and vomit.

The animal may appear to get better for a day or two but then the kidneys will fail.

If your pet displays any of those early symptoms of antifreeze poisoning, it is important to get them to a vet immediately.

Get today’s headlines in minutes with Your Florida Daily:

About the Author:

Christie joined the ClickOrlando team in November 2021.