TAVARES, Fla. – A man accused of killing his father and leading law enforcement on a chase and shootout has been sentenced to 25 years in prison.
On Thursday, Jonny Santiago, 22, changed his plea to charges connected to the July 2022 chase and crash into a Mount Dora synagogue where he opened fire.
As part of an agreement with the state attorney’s office, Santiago pleaded guilty to two counts of attempted first-degree murder of law enforcement, fleeing or attempting to elude, and discharging a firearm in public.
“My concern, our concern, his family’s concern was to make sure that he does not spend the rest of his life in prison,” defense attorney Brian Pakett said.
Santiago still faces a second-degree murder charge connected to the shooting death of his father, Juan Santiago, at his Deltona home.
The change of plea decision came after Pakett said he consulted Santiago’s family members, who were in court for the sentencing.
“Obviously, it’s a very difficult situation for them because he’s alleged to have taken the life of her husband, a brother, father, but they very much support Jonny, and they have his back,” Pakett said.
Santiago was previously declared incompetent to stand trial, and his attorney said he plans to seek an insanity defense in the second-degree murder case.
“He’s a young kid. He’s got a lot of life left. Mental health should not define him, and mental illness will not define him and keep him in prison for the rest of his life,” Pakett said.
A pre-trial conference in the second-degree murder case has been scheduled for June 9 in Volusia County, and a trial date was scheduled for July 6.