ST. CLOUD, Fla. - An elementary school in St. Cloud was on lockdown Tuesday afternoon while multiple law enforcement officials responded to an incident nearby, Osceola County school officials said.
School officials said Hickory Tree Elementary School was on lockdown around 2 p.m.
- Search for suspect prompts lockdown of Cocoa schools, officials say
- Lockdown lifted at Sanford hospital after search for gunman, officials say
- Person of interest sought in explosion at Orange County McDonald's
- Parents raise concerns over school lunch time length at Osceola High School
- Meet the comfort dogs helping students in Seminole County Schools
Police asked residents via Twitter at 1:43 p.m. to stay away from police activity near 17th Street, Crawford Avenue and Quotation Court.
St. Cloud police said officers and Osceola deputies worked together to take the suspect accused of fleeing from a traffic stop and crashing into a retention pond nearby into custody around 2:05 p.m.
It is unknown whether other schools were put on lockdown while authorities pursued the suspect.
No other details were available. Stay with News 6 and ClickOrlando.com for updates on this developing story.
Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.