Hot start, wet finish in Monday forecast

Heat in morning will be followed by afternoon rain

ORLANDO, Fla.- – The rest of Sunday will be quiet, with only a few showers lingering overhead and lows in the mid 70s.

On Monday, the first half of the day will be a hot one.

Highs will reach 93 by the afternoon and feel like the triple digits. The difference will be the rain.

Scattered showers will pick up in the afternoon and turn into widespread rain around the time to head home from work.

Much of the activity will be west of I-95, but we can't rule out a few sprinkles along the coast early in the day.  

Rain coverage is 60% with more moisture moving in from the north. Expect pockets of heavy rain at times through the evening. Rain chances will remain high through the end of the workweek and then only slightly lower near 40% into next weekend. 

Tropical Update

The tropics are on everyone's mind in central Florida.

Right now, the only named system is Tropical Storm Dorian, which continues to pick up speed and strengthen a little more as it moves west.

There are tropical storm watches and warnings for portions of the Lesser Antilles. Dorian is expected to become a Category 1 hurricane late Wednesday, which compared to previous forecasts puts it a little closer to Hispaniola before it strengthens. 

Interests in Puerto Rico and Hispaniola should keep watch as the system nears Wednesday into Thursday. Model guidance still shows Dorian moving over Hispaniola and losing steam by the end of the week. This is something we will keep an eye on. 

The area of low pressure that kept rain chances low for central Florida by feeding in dry air continues to move away from the Sunshine State into the open Atlantic. The NHC still gives this system high potential to develop into a subtropical or tropical cyclone over the next few days. The latest projection also shows a northeast path staying parallel, but far enough offshore from the eastern sea board. 

Invest 98 continues to move AWAY from Florida. This could eventually be the next named system but will only impact the open waters as it moves off the coast of the Carolinas.

Tropical Storm Dorian will have to be monitored closely. A tropical storm warning and watches are in effect for a few islands.

Dorian is expected to become a hurricane for a short time before weakening again in the Caribbean. Puerto Rico remains in the cone and could feel impacts from Dorian late in the week. Impacts are uncertain this far out, but residents should pay close attention to how Dorian develops and moves.

The Middle Of Next Week

As Dorian moves closer to Puerto Rico, it will encounter dry air and wind shear, two things that could significantly weaken the storm.

Stay tuned to the Pinpoint Weather Team.


About the Authors: