ORLANDO, Fla. – The Orlando nightclub where dozens were slain and injured in a mass shooting last month has been turned back over to the owners, state officials said Wednesday.
Forty-nine people died and 53 others were injured in the June 12 shooting inside Pulse.
"The Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Orlando Police Department (Wednesday) ended (its) control of the Pulse nightclub site, and turned over the location to the business owners. The active criminal investigations by the FDLE and FBI are still ongoing," the FDLE said. "This event marks an important milestone in our community's recovery from the tragic events of June 12, 2016, as we continue to mourn the loss of the 49 victims and grieve with their families and friends."
It's not known what the owners will do with the facility.
"This is a bittersweet day. None of us will ever understand why this unspeakable event happened at Pulse, which was always intended to be a safe place for the LGBT community," Pulse owner Barbara Poma said in a statement. "We continue to be grateful for the efforts of law enforcement, as well as the love and support we have received from our Orlando community and the world. While we currently remain uncertain about our specific next steps, we can now begin to move forward and make plans for the future of Pulse.”
Watch News 6 and stay with ClickOrlando.com for more on this story.