Acid bombs prompt standoff, scare in Baldwin Park

2 men arrested in incident

BALDWIN PARK, Fla. – Two men who set off acid bombs in the yard of a Baldwin Park home prompted a standoff that lasted several hours Tuesday afternoon, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

Concerned neighbors called 911 about 9:20 a.m. after they heard a loud explosion, said Jane Watrel, a spokeswoman for the Sheriff's Office. When deputies arrived to the home in the 4400 block of Beach Boulevard, they found that two acid bombs had been set off outside, authorities said.

A 37-year-old man and a 56-year-old man were outside the home, and although they were initially cooperative with authorities, the younger man went inside and refused to come out, according to Watrel.

He was identified later in the day as Nathan Martin.

The other suspect is Bruce Steffenhagan, deputies said.

Neither man has the option to post bond.

Pictured: Bruce Steffenhagan, at left, and Nathan Martin.

Authorities surrounded the house for several hours before one of the men surrendered, shortly before 4 p.m.  Five people were taken out of the home and taken into custody.

The names of the other people involved have not been released. Officials said they will be charged with manufacturing, placing and discharging an explosive device and it's possible that they could face additional charges.

Watrel said the incident is not believed to be an act of terrorism.

"It's dangerous and we're not happy about it," Watrel said. "To be doing this in a residential neighborhood, we're so happy that the residents called us to see. We do want to say this is not an act of terror or anything like that, but it's just dangerous."

No other details were immediately available.