4 suffer carbon monoxide poisoning after Lexus left running in garage
Orange County firefighters called to home on Stonebriar Way near UCF
ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – Four Orange County residents were taken to a hospital Tuesday morning for carbon monoxide poisoning, fire officials said.
The incident was reported around 5:30 a.m. at a home in the 15000 block of Stonebriar Way, east of the University of Central Florida.
Nelson Navarro, who lives at the home, said he smelled something funny and began feeling dizzy.
"I woke up, there was an odor in the house and my dog is dead and my wife, she was taking a shower, and then she passed out and I can't get her up," he said in a 911 call.
Navarro can be heard coughing, yelling and crying during the nine-minute call.
Navarro told News 6 that he and his uncle acted quickly to get his wife and niece, as well as his dog, Bentley, out of the house.
"We have to get out of the house, something is wrong," he told News 6. "We woke up, the dog was passed out. And my wife and my niece passed out. My uncle and I, we brought them outside, to get them fresh air."
Fire officials said the carbon monoxide came from a Lexus SUV that was accidentally left running in the garage of the home.
A recent study shows 37 deaths have been attributed to carbon monoxide poisoning nationwide since 2006. Both the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives have introduced bills calling for automakers to find a way for cars to shut off automatically if left idling for an extended period of time.
As for Navarro, his family plans to make sure this never happens again.
"Now we know we need detectors, especially in the garage and in his bedroom," he said.
Authorities said all the victims were in stable condition at the hospital. Navarro, his wife, and his uncle have since been released. His niece remains in the hospital, and Bentley is expected to be OK.
#Hazmat: OCFRD is on scene 15000 block of Stonebriar Way for reports of suspicious odor/possible carbon monoxide exposure. 4 adult patients transport to #AdventHealth. Crews still assessing condition of family dog.— OCFire Rescue (@OCFireRescue) June 18, 2019
Copyright 2019 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.