ORLANDO, Fla. – The State Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the cause of the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando fire that occurred last month was accidental.
Seventeen cats were killed in the fire on Conroy Road on Sept. 15, according to the a news release from the shelter.
Pet Alliance said 45 cats and 26 dogs were rescued from the fire.
Officials said they suspect the cause of the fire to be electrical.
The roof of the building has caved in, according to officials, and the building is a near-total loss.
[TRENDING: Timeline: Search for Gabby Petito’s fiance continues in Florida | Become a News 6 Insider (it’s free!)]
Pet Alliance said more than 12,000 people and businesses have made donations after the fire.
“It’s incredible,” Spokesperson Cathy Rogers said last week. “We have received over $250,000 dollars in donations online just through our website since [Thursday] which is just, I mean I work in fundraising so that’s my department and I have never seen anything like that.”
Officials said it is likely they will use more off-site adoption locations. They also plan to build a new permanent facility.
Anyone interested in making donations to Pet Alliance can do so at this link.