ORLANDO, Fla. – If you plan on making a trip to downtown Orlando this weekend, prepare for some delays and road closures.
City officials released a list of roads to be closed for events in downtown Orlando this week, and many of the roads to be closed will be southwest of Lake Eola.
This weekend, the city said downtown Orlando will be seeing several large events, including Immerse 2021, Synapse Orlando, Viva Orlando and iHeartRadio Fiesta Latina.
Crews were already preparing on Wednesday for a weekend full of events expected to attract thousands to the City Beautiful.
“When you bring that large number of people coming to downtown not only does it support giving option to people to come, but it also helps the economy in downtown Orlando by supporting the businesses, you know a lot of the restaurants are open,” Kelly Allen with the City of Orlando said.
Immerse, a popular event filled with immersive art and performances, was canceled last year due to the pandemic, but Allen said things are looking brighter this time around.
Synapse Orlando kicked off Friday at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts, a tech and innovation event that attracted more than a thousand people from all over the state.
“The fact that we can do an event like this is the fact that we can have a thousand, 1,200 to 1,500 people under one room. Bring that energy and do it safely all at once in this pandemic. I’m absolutely thrilled that we were able to pull this off,” said Brian Kornfeld, CEO and co-founder of Synapse.
The City of Orlando already closed Orange Avenue between South and Anderson Street, which is set to reopen on Monday morning.
Here are the following road closures:
From 9 a.m. Wednesday to 8 a.m. on Monday the following roads will be closed:
- Orange Avenue from South Street to Anderson Street
- Eastbound lanes of South Street from Boone Avenue to Orange Avenue
From 10 a.m. Thursday to 9 a.m. on Sunday the following roads will be closed:
- Orange Avenue from Central Boulevard to South Street
- Pine Street from Garland Avenue to Court Avenue (local traffic will maintain access to Pine Street garages)
- Church Street from Garland Avenue to Court Avenue
List of other road closures:
- Church Street from Division Avenue to Hughey Avenue will be closed from 11 a.m. Wednesday to 11 p.m. Wednesday
- Church Street from Hughey Avenue to Garland Avenue will be closed from 4 p.m. Wednesday to 11 p.m. Wednesday
- Church Street from Division Avenue to Hughey Avenue will be closed from 9 a.m. Friday to 11 p.m. Saturday
- Church Street from Hughey Avenue to Garland Avenue will be closed from 4 p.m. Saturday to 11 p.m. Saturday
List of roads to remain closed:
- The eastbound lane of Livingston Street from Hughey Avenue to Garland Avenue
- Pine Street from Hughey Avenue to Garland Avenue
- Westbound lanes of Anderson Street from Rosalind Avenue to Orange Avenue