Edgewater man agrees to plea deal in Capitol riot case

Howard Adams jailed for refusing to show up for court hearings

Federal investigators said this man is Volusia County resident Howard Adams, who was charged for his connection to the riots on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. (Courtesy Inside Edition / Copyright 2021 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.)

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A Volusia County man who was jailed for refusing to show up to court on charges stemming from the attack on the U.S. Capitol agreed to a plea deal on Thursday.

Howard Adams was arrested by the FBI at his home in Edgewater in March, 2021, after investigators said someone recognized him in video footage from the Capitol that aired on Inside Edition.

[TRENDING: Here’s why Orlando International Airport goes by MCO, not OIA | Florida mother sues school district over OnlyFans controversy | Become a News 6 Insider]

Howard Adams, 62 (Copyright 2022 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.)

He was charged with two counts of civil disorder, witness tampering, entering a restricted building, disorderly conduct and parading inside the U.S. Capitol.

On Thursday, court documents showed he pleaded guilty to one count of interfering with law enforcement during a civil disorder.

He faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison when he is sentenced in March.

Adams, who declared himself a state nationalist, refused to attend virtual court hearings, according to court documents, which resulted in his re-arrest in December.

At that time, a federal judge ordered him held in jail.

He was released from jail on Thursday on the condition he return for sentencing on March 31.

Watch News 6+ in the player below for live news and original programming:

Get today’s headlines in minutes with Your Florida Daily:

About the Author:

Erik Sandoval joined the News 6 team as a reporter in May 2013 and became an Investigator in 2020. During his time at News 6, Erik has covered several major stories, including the 2016 Presidential campaign. He was also one of the first reporters live on the air at the Pulse Nightclub shooting.