Cleaning chemicals spark house fire
Home damaged by fire in Palm Bay
PALM BAY, Fla. – A probable reaction among cleaning chemicals stored in a garage is being blamed for sparking a fire that caused approximately $25,000 damage to a home early Sunday morning.
Officials said just before 3 a.m. Sunday residents at 1344 Zanzibar Street South East awoke to the sound of smoke alarms in the home.
They immediately began removing animals and personal items and evacuating the residence, officials said.
As firefighters responded propane fuel tanks in the garage began to explode, officials said.
Officials said firefighters had to evacuated a few surrounding homes as a precaution.
Firefighters contained the fire to the garage area of the home and further investigation by the fire marshal determined the fire appeared to be accidental as a result of a probable chemical reaction with linseed and other cleaners stored on a shelf.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family. No one was injured.
Copyright 2012 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.