'Burglar boxes' return to Orlando for holidays
Dumpsters placed throughout city to deter criminals
ORLANDO, Fla. – "Burglar boxes" are back by popular demand.
The Orange County Sheriff's Office has partnered with Orlando Recycling and Waste Management to have "cardboard-only" Dumpsters placed throughout the county.
The so-called "burglar boxes" allow residents to discard cardboard boxes, especially for big-ticket items like TVs, computers and gaming consoles, instead of leaving them curbside outside their homes.
The Sheriff's Office said criminals often target homes by boxes left outside during the holiday season.
"We want to encourage members of the community to use these 'burglar boxes' as an alternative to leaving their cardboard boxes curbside," the Sheriff's Office said.
The "burglar boxes" can be found at the following locations:
- Winn Dixie at 5732 N. Hiawassee Road in Orlando
- Forest Edge Shopping Center at 5701 Edgewater Drive in Orlando
- Waterford Shopping Center (behind the Subway) at 413 N. Alafaya Trail in Orlando
- Sector 2 Substation at 11000 Lake Underhill Road in Orlando
- Orlo Vista Park at 1 N. Powers Drive in Orlando
- Soiree Event Center at 6394 Silver Star Road in Orlando
- Dr. Phillips YMCA at 7000 Dr. Phillips Boulevard in Orlando
- Goodwill at 7915 S. Orange Blossom Trail in Orlando
- Costco at 2101 Waterbridge Boulevard in Orlando
Copyright 2014 by ClickOrlando.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.