More than 800 lose jobs at Universal Orlando hotels
ORLANDO, Fla. Hotels at the Universal Orlando Resort announced more than 800 employees will be losing their jobs as the Florida theme park industry continues to be devastated by the pandemic. The employees at Hard Rock Hotel, Loews Portofino Bay Hotel and Cabana Bay Beach Resort were indefinitely furloughed or permanently terminated, according to a notice filed last week by the company Loews Hotels & Co.A company director said in a letter to the state that the surge of confirmed cases in late June and July and other states' decisions to order Florida travelers to quarantine had caused a sudden, dramatic and unexpected reversal in bookings." The affected employees were not represented by a union. They work as cooks, chefs, servers, receptionists and housekeepers. Loews Hotels & Co had already shut down two other Universal Orlando hotels due to the coronavirus impact on tourism, The Orlando Sentinel reported.
Universal to temporarily close 2 more hotels
All rights reserved)ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. Universal Orlando announced two more hotels will temporarily close. Hotels to temporarily close on Aug. 21:Loews Sapphire Falls ResortUniversals Aventura HotelHotels already temporarily closed:Loews Portofino Bay HotelUniversals Endless Summer Resort Dockside Inn and SuitesOpen hotels:Hard Rock HotelLoews Royal Pacific ResortUniversals Cabana Bay Beach ResortUniversals Endless Summer Resort Surfside Inn and SuitesThe reopening of the temporarily closed hotels will be announced at a later date, according to Universal. Anyone who has booked a reservation at a temporarily closed hotel should call 888-464-3551 to modify their reservation, according to Universal. Guests with reservations at Sapphire Falls or Aventura will be booked at a different hotel, according to park officials. Click here for the guest and hotel guidelines at Universal.
Body removed months after hotel collapsed under construction
NEW ORLEANS Crews on Saturday recovered the body of one of two construction workers that had been trapped nearly 10 months ago in the collapse of a Hard Rock Hotel under construction in New Orleans. Crews have yet to reach the area on the 8th floor of the structure where they expect to find his body, authorities said. The remains of Anthony Magrette, 49, the third worker killed, were removed the day after the partial building collapse last Oct. 12. His twin sister, Angela Magrette, stood with Wimberly's family on Saturday as Wimberly's remains were lowered from the structure around 10:45 a.m."This family weve actually made our family. The cause of the collapse remains under investigation.
Worker who survived New Orleans hotel collapse deported
A construction worker hurt in last month's collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel construction site in New Orleans has been deported to his native Honduras on Friday. Border Patrol officers arrested Ramirez Palma two days after he fell several stories as the upper floors of the hotel project caved in on October 12. "We're deeply concerned about the gaping hole this leaves in the investigation into the Hard Rock Hotel collapse," said Mary Yanik of the New Orleans Workers' Center for Racial Justice. Emergency officials on the scene of a partial building collapse at the Hard Rock Hotel construction site downtown New Orleans, Louisiana, on October 12, 2019. Ramirez Palma's job was putting in window framing at the hotel site.cbsnews.com
Cranes demolished at New Orleans hotel construction site
(CNN) - Two construction cranes were demolished Sunday afternoon at the partially collapsed Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans. Warning horns were heard blaring moments before the construction cranes, which had towered over the damaged construction site, snapped into pieces and toppled. An evacuation order had been put "in effect for Hard Rock crane demo," New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell said in a tweet Sunday morning. Portions of the Hard Rock Hotel, which has been under construction at the edge of the city's historic French Quarter, collapsed October 12. More than 100 construction workers were at the site when the collapse occurred, according to one of the construction companies.
Implosion at Hard Rock Hotel site sends crane crashing onto New Orleans street
McConnell confirmed that a sewer line was damaged by the crane that smashed into the street below. Two large cranes from the Hard Rock Hotel construction collapse come crashing down after being detonated for implosion in New Orleans, Sunday, October 20, 2019. New Orleans officials set off several explosions Sunday intended to topple two cranes that had been looming over the ruins of a partially collapsed hotel. The initial demolition comes a little over a week after the deadly collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel that was being built near a corner of the city's historic French Quarter. Emergency officials on the scene of a partial building collapse at the Hard Rock Hotel construction site downtown New Orleans, Louisiana, on October 12, 2019.cbsnews.com
Demolition of New Orleans cranes expected Saturday
New Orleans Fire Department chief Timothy McConnell announced a controlled demolition of two swaying cranes at an afternoon press conference alongside Governor John Bel Edwards and New Orleans mayor LaToya Cantrel. (WGNO)(CNN) - The implosion of two cranes at the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans, which partially collapsed during construction, was expected Saturday after a delay due to a tropical storm, officials said. Saturday evening's Krewe of Boo event downtown, the city's official Halloween parade, was canceled because of the demolition, officials said. Crews had hoped to take the cranes down Friday evening, said New Orleans Fire Chief Tim McConnell. Door-knocking and clearing the evacuation area will begin four hours before demolition, McConnell said.
New Orleans Hard Rock cranes to be blown up due to approaching storm
The City of New Orleans plans to bring down two cranes at the construction site of the Hard Rock Hotel that collapsed over the weekend, killing at least two people. NEW ORLEANS - The City of New Orleans plans to bring down two cranes at the construction site of the Hard Rock Hotel that collapsed over the weekend, killing at least two people, according to New Orleans Fire Chief Timothy McConnell. New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell issued a state of emergency for the city due to the storm, as well as the partial collapse of the Hard Rock Hotel, her office said Thursday. Authorities had been trying to stabilize the cranes, but announced Wednesday that the rescue mission has moved to recovery. There were more than 100 construction workers on site at the time, according to one of the construction companies.
Hotel collapse: From rescue mode to recovery mode
A Hard Rock Hotel under construction in New Orleans collapses, killing two and injuring at least 18. NEW ORLEANS - Further movement from the unstable crane is causing problems, and additional rainfall will only make the situation worse. With that, it is approaching the time to move out of rescue mode and into recovery mode. Going from, you know, you say you'll risk a life to save a life, but we can't say the same for recovery. But I want to assure everyone, we will take every action to recover the remains for these families," said McConnell.
Search continues for missing worker in Hard Rock Hotel collapse
New Orleans The search continued Monday for a construction worker buried in the rubble of the Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans after it partially collapsed on Saturday, sending debris into the street. The collapse was captured on video, as the top of the construction plummeted to the ground. Three people died in the collapse, including the missing worker. Emergency officials are on the scene of a partial building collapse at the Hard Rock Hotel construction site downtown New Orleans, Louisiana on October 12, 2019. Officials discovered both yellow cranes are compromised and could collapse, so the evacuation perimeter has been extended.cbsnews.com
One killed as hotel under construction collapses in New Orleans
(Reuters) - One person was killed and at least 18 injured in New Orleans on Saturday when part of a Hard Rock Hotel under construction collapsed, filling a street with wreckage and clouds of dust. Video of the collapse was widely shared on social media and the fire department posted photos of the aftermath showing crumpled floors and tangles of broken construction materials. Local media said three people were missing and emergency services were using rescue dogs and drones to search for any more victims. Every few minutes something is falling off of this building.Hard Rock International said it was to be the future manager of the hotel and has no involvement in its construction. We want to extend our deepest sympathies to victims of this tragic accident and to their loved ones and friends, the company said in a statement.feeds.reuters.com
Hotel Under Construction Collapses in New Orleans, Leaving 1 Person Dead
A Hard Rock Hotel under construction in New Orleans collapsed on Saturday, leaving one person dead and at least three people missing. Upper floors collapsed into the ones below before one side of the building fell to the ground. One person was pronounced dead at the scene and 18 people were taken to the hospital. Its a very dangerous situation," he said. "This remains a very fluid and very dangerous situation, and every few minutes something is falling off of this building," said Louisiana Gov.
At least 2 dead, 20 injured after Hard Rock Hotel collapse in New Orleans
A large portion of a Hard Rock Hotel under construction in New Orleans collapsed Saturday morning, killing at least two people and injuring 20 others, authorities said. Three people were initially reported missing, though one has since been found, according to the New Orleans Fire Department. A look at the damaged Hard Rock Hotel in New Orleans. "Citadel Builders LLC was contracted by Kailas Companies, owner of the project, to build the Hard Rock Hotel based on a brand licensing agreement with Hard Rock International, the future manager of the hotel," the statement read. "Hard Rock has had no involvement in the construction of the project.cbsnews.com
Hotel collapse in New Orleans leaves 2 dead, 1 missing
As search and rescue efforts unfolded, police stood sentry around a group of people on the Canal Street median believed to be loved ones of the missing. A woman nearby said she was trying to find out the status of her brother, a worker at the site. She declined to give her name, wiping tears from her eyes as she walked away.chicagotribune.com
Hurricane Dorian damage in Volusia County could have been worse
VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. - Fierce winds and bands of rain saturated Volusia County overnight and well into the day Wednesday as Hurricane Dorian skirted the coast. Volusia County officials said there was slight erosion on the beaches due to the king tides and rough surf. But Bell said the Hard Rock Hotel is lucky to have survived Hurricane Dorian without a scratch. "They're ready to get back to work. They're proud of their place, so they're coming in today to help us put the baby back together and get ready to go tomorrow," Bell said.
Grant helps music therapy foundation thrive
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Joyful Music Therapy Foundation will be able to help more children thanks to a grant from an international hotel chain. Ford nominated Joyful Music Therapy Foundation as Orlando's local charity. Joyful Music Therapy was one of 50 local winners around the world, receiving a $5,000 grant. Joyful Music Therapy Foundation president and founder, Tamela Ponder, said the money will open the door for clients who couldn't previously afford it. "They see the benefit of music therapy, and they just want to help us, and that's amazing."