‘Feels like’ temperatures to reach 110-plus in some areas near Orlando

FILE - Fans cheer and wave a flag as fireworks explode during the playing of the national anthem before the start the Xfinity series auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015, in Daytona Beach, Fla. NASCAR has built itself around its traveling show, every weekend a super-charged event of concerts, camping and infield carousing that closes with a Cup race. The party has been canceled during the pandemic but the playoffs go on, starting Sunday, Sept. 6, 2020, without any of the pomp and circumstance. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File)
FILE - Fans cheer and wave a flag as fireworks explode during the playing of the national anthem before the start the Xfinity series auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015, in Daytona Beach, Fla. NASCAR has built itself around its traveling show, every weekend a super-charged event of concerts, camping and infield carousing that closes with a Cup race. The party has been canceled during the pandemic but the playoffs go on, starting Sunday, Sept. 6, 2020, without any of the pomp and circumstance. (AP Photo/John Raoux, File) (Copyright 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.)

ORLANDO, Fla. – Keep that AC cranking.

A heat advisory is in effect until 6 p.m. Friday for several Central Florida counties, including Flagler, Marion, Sumter and Polk. A heat advisory is issued when temperatures feel like 110 degrees.

“Make sure you drink lots of water and take frequent breaks if you’re outside for an extended period,” News 6 meteorologist Troy Bridges said.

Orlando will reach a high in the mid-90s Friday and Saturday, with the heat index well over 100 degrees. The average high on this date is 91. The record high is 97, set in 1904.

“Rain chances will gradually increase as we head into the end of the weekend,” Bridges said.

Expect a 40% chance of rain Friday and Saturday and a 60% coverage of rain Sunday.

Rain chances ramp up to 70% Monday through Thursday.

“Don’t worry about Labor Day being a total washout, but we will have afternoon sea breeze storms that fire up and linger into the early evening hours,” Bridges said.

Tracking the tropics

A broad area of low pressure about 1,500 miles from the Lesser Antilles continues to move west.

The hurricane center is giving a 40% chance of developing tropical characteristics over the next five days.

Behind that system, another tropical low is trying to organize just south of the Cabo Verde Islands.

The hurricane center says there’s a 70% chance of development over the next five days.


About the Authors: