Dog alerts homeowner after lightning sparks fire at 2-story Orange County home

Tangerine-area house partially collapses

TANGERINE, Fla. – A pet dog alerted a homeowner to a fire after a lightning strike sparked the blaze in Orange County, officials said.

The two-story Tangerine-area home partially collapsed early Wednesday after the fire broke out, sending flames through the roof, according to Orange County Fire Rescue.

[TRENDING: DeSantis sounds off on masks in schools | ER nurse now open to COVID shot | Biles withdraws from Olympics]

The fire started around 3:10 a.m. at 6590 Clayton St. near the Lake County border. Firefighters said overnight storms prompted the lightning strike and sparked the flames.

Fire officials said crews saw flames coming from the roof and worked in a defensive mode as one side of the house partially collapsed. The home is 7,000 square feet and was 80 percent engulfed, according to OCFR.

Firefighters from Lake County and Apopka arrived to help. Authorities say the resident and his dog were able to escape. The two were not hurt, according to fire crews.

The Red Cross is assisting.


About the Author:

Daniel started with WKMG-TV in 2000 and became the digital content manager in 2009. When he's not working on ClickOrlando.com, Daniel likes to head to the beach or find a sporting event nearby.