WATCH IT AGAIN: SpaceX launches Falcon 9 from Cape Canaveral after Idalia passes

Rocket launched with Starlink satellites at 10:21 p.m.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – SpaceX successfully launched its Falcon 9 rocket from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station on Thursday evening, more than a day after Idalia passed through Florida.

Liftoff originally targeted 7:52 p.m. from Space Launch Complex 40 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, though it was later pushed to 10:21 p.m.

The launch initially had a 20% chance for “go” at the opening of the launch window, though that figure grew to 80% shortly before 10 p.m., SpaceX announced.

Idalia made landfall in Florida as a Category 3 hurricane on Wednesday, rolling through the Big Bend region before moving into southern Georgia and the coastal Carolinas. The forecast shows that squally weather could remain an issue at the Spaceport, though it’s expected to gradually improve as the night stretches on.

[EXCLUSIVE: Become a News 6 Insider (it’s FREE) | PINIT! Share your photos]

SpaceX said this latest launch will see the Falcon 9 rocket take another batch of 22 Starlink internet satellites into orbit.

The launch will also be the seventh flight for the first-stage booster supporting this mission, which was previously used to launch Crew-5, GPS III Space Vehicle 06, Inmarsat 16-F2, CRS-28, Intelsat G-37 and a separate Starlink mission.

After stage separation, the booster will land on the A Shortfall of Gravitas droneship in the Atlantic Ocean.

Get today’s headlines in minutes with Your Florida Daily:


About the Author:

Anthony, a graduate of the University of Florida, joined ClickOrlando.com in April 2022.