Suspect in Winter Park teen's death denied bond on manslaughter charge

Simeon Hall, 16, faced judge Tuesday morning

By Vanessa Araiza - Reporter , Ryan Burkett - Producer

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. - A teenage boy facing a manslaughter charge in the beating death of a Winter Park teen was denied bond and will remain in jail after he appeared before a judge on Tuesday for new charges in a separate case.

Prosecutors charged 16-year-old Simeon Hall as an adult after officers arrested him earlier this month. Police say he attacked someone at Ward Park, injuring the victim's head.

The victim's father didn't want to go on camera for fear of compromising the case but did say his son was at the park for a birthday party with friends when the attack happened. 

The teen is also charged with manslaughter in the October 2016 beating death of 15-year-old Roger Trindade. Police say Hall and another boy got into a fight with Trindade and left him unconscious.

Hall is charged with felony battery and tampering with an electronic monitoring device in the most recent case. His bond on both of these charges total $5,150.

Trindade later died from his injuries. Hall's bond for the battery charge in the Trindade's death is set at $2,000. The judge revoked his bail Tuesday on the manslaughter charge.

Florida Department of Juvenile Justice Secretary Christina K. Daly on Tuesday released a statement about the use of electronic monitoring devices.

“The placement of this youth offender on electronic monitoring is the decision made by the court. The Florida Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) utilizes a one-piece GPS device that tracks a youth on electronic monitoring’s exact whereabouts real-time, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. This monitoring allows DJJ to trace back a youth’s whereabouts if they are in an area prohibited by the court’s order. Specifics regarding a juvenile’s record or case are considered confidential and exempt per Florida law. We are glad that law enforcement quickly responded to ensure public safety,” Daly said.

Because Hall is a juvenile, a number of his records remain sealed even with the new charges as an adult. 

During Tuesday's court hearing, the judge stated the court had reviewed his juvenile records and noted a previous incident with his device.

"The court has reviewed the paperwork stemming from the juvenile case bringing you forth here. I am aware that you were on an electronic monitor," the judge said. "You violated your electronic monitor as recently as September and then you now have these new charges."

Copyright 2017 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.