Worker shot to death at behavioral health center in Melbourne; suspect arrested

Robert C. Quackenbush arrested on murder charge in shooting at Circles of Care

An arrest has been made in a fatal shooting at a behavioral health center in Melbourne, according to police.

MELBOURNE, Fla. – An arrest has been made in a fatal shooting at a behavioral health center in Melbourne, according to police.

Melbourne police said around 4:48 p.m. Wednesday officers responded to the Circles of Care Harbor Pines facility, located on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, in reference to a shooting.

Investigators said they discovered Travis Knight, who worked at the facility, suffering from a gunshot wound in the parking lot. He was later pronounced dead.

[TRENDING: Animal nearly severs woman’s arm at Carole Baskin’s rescueCDC: Avoid travel to Mexico | Brightline targets 2022 for OIA station]

Police said Robert C. Quackenbush was taken into custody at the scene. He was later arrested on first-degree murder charges and was being held without bond.

Officers said Quackenbush, who had received treatment at the facility and previously interacted with Knight, arrived at the facility in an attempt to speak with Knight and they had a conversation outside.

The conversation lasted several minutes and Knight was observed walking away in a casual manner, according to investigators.

Police said Quackenbush followed Knight across the parking and fatally shot him.

Officers said Quackenbush attempted to get rid of the gun near the scene and staff members successfully distracted him until officers arrived.

“The Harbor Pines facility continues to remain open. The victim was one of our staff. No comment can be made due to privacy laws about any relationship that we may have had with the shooter,” said Stephen Lord, executive vice president of the facility.

Detectives and crime scene units were at the scene collecting evidence through the evening.

The deadly shooting was the 37th reported homicide to take place in Brevard County this year, according to Florida Today.

Quackenbush faced a judge Thursday afternoon during a first appearance. He was ordered held without bail. His next court appearance is on Jan. 7.