Multi-day rain event: Front stalls, bringing wet weather to Central Florida

Front clears out of Orlando by Thursday

Photo does not have a caption

Sunday was the start of a multi-day rain event as the setup becomes favorable for numerous showers and embedded storms for Central Florida.

A weak stationary front will continue to meander overhead, acting as the main trigger mechanism for showers and storms through Tuesday. Long range models show the peak rain coverage moving in for the first half of the workweek.

Rain chances starting Sunday will favor northern counties earlier, with an enhanced risk for showers and storms further south along the Interstate 4 corridor into the afternoon.

[TRENDING: Mechanical issue forces pilot to land at Cocoa air show| 2 killed, 2 injured in Palm Bay hit-and-run crash | Unemployment claim disqualifies Disney cast member for 5 months]

Rain chances vary significantly depending on where you live. For areas north of Orlando, rain chances will be the highest at 70-80%. Areas surrounding metro Orlando, your chances range between 50-60%. And the lowest risk for rain today will be areas south of the Kissimmee-Titusville line, with your chances at 30-40%.

Rain outlook for Central Florida Sunday, April 18. (Copyright 2021 by WKMG ClickOrlando - All rights reserved.)

Along with scattered showers, we are also anticipating a marginal risk for a few strong to severe storms by the afternoon.

The main hazards from these storms will be frequent lightning, penny-sized hail, and wind gusts up to 45-50 mph. Under some heavier rain bands, we could see rain rates in upwards of 2 inches per hour. These hazards will likely continue through Monday and Tuesday.


About the Author: