Dryer fire displaces 135 at Bethune-Cookman residence hall, officials say

Sprinkler system flooded building, no injuries reported, university says

Bethune-Cookman University welcoming students back to campus

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Bethune-Cookman University officials said a fire in a residence hall Friday night triggered sprinklers that flooded each floor of the building and will temporarily displace about 135 students.

The fire was started at 8:05 p.m. by an electric dryer on the third floor of Thompson Hall, according to a news release. No injuries were reported, and the building suffered internal damage but remains standing, the university said.

[TRENDING: What do nurses wish you knew about COVID-19? These answers should be required reading | Substance abuse counselor claims Brevard deputies wrongly arrested him for DUI | Become a News 6 Insider (it’s free!)]

Displaced students will be relocated to other housing areas on campus, the release said. Officials will determine Saturday when students can return to the building.

No other information has been released.

About the Author:

Brandon, a UCF grad, joined the ClickOrlando team in November 2021. Before joining News 6, Brandon worked at WDBO.