Can I appeal a traffic citation ruling? Trooper Steve has the answer

Trooper Steve answers viewer questions

Trooper Steve answers viewer questions.

ORLANDO, Fla. – News 6 traffic safety expert Trooper Steve Montiero answers viewer questions about the rules of the road every week, helping Central Florida residents become better drivers by being better educated.

Trooper Steve on Thursday was asked, “Can I appeal a traffic decision just like any other criminal charge?”

[SUBMIT: Send safety question to Trooper Steve | TRENDING: Become a News 6 Insider (it’s free!)]

Trooper Steve said it’s important to know that a traffic violation is not typically considered a criminal charge.

“It is an infraction, but there are some traffic violations that could be considered criminal,” he said. “But with that said, yes, you can appeal a traffic decision if you feel it is necessary.”

If you were found guilty of a traffic violation and you want to appeal, then you would file within the circuit court in which the violation was heard.

“You can visit your local clerk of courts website and they will explain to you how to file that appeal,” Trooper Steve said. “This must be submitted within 30 days of the first judgment.”

But what about parking tickets?

“If you decide to take the parking ticket to court, that is the time to plead your case. If a judge or magistrate finds the parking ticket to be valid, there would be no other opportunity for an appeal,” Trooper Steve said.

Get today’s headlines in minutes with Your Florida Daily:

About the Authors:

Daniel started with WKMG-TV in 2000 and became the digital content manager in 2009. When he's not working on, Daniel likes to head to the beach or find a sporting event nearby.

Steven Montiero, better known as “Trooper Steve," joined the News 6 morning team as its Traffic Safety Expert in October 2017. A Central Florida native and decorated combat veteran, Montiero comes to the station following an eight-year assignment with the Florida Highway Patrol.