ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. – The Orange County Sheriff’s Office dedicated at least 30 detectives to the Miya Marcano case, according to Sheriff John Mina.
Marcano went missing around 5 p.m. on Sept. 24 at the Arden Villas Apartments near the University of Central Florida.
Investigators announced a person of interest in Marcano’s disappearance, Armando Manuel Caballero, had been found dead at an apartment complex in Seminole County from an apparent suicide. Mina said Caballero was a maintenance worker at Arden Villas since June and had shown romantic interest in Marcano but was rebuffed several times.
Here is what is known about the timeline on the day of her disappearance and what has happened since then.
Friday, Sept. 24:
- 2:14 p.m. - Orange County Sheriff’s Office said the deadbolt to Marcano’s apartment was opened by an on-call maintenance key fob known to be in Caballero’s posession.
- 3 p.m. - This is the last time Caballero told deputies he saw Miya Marcano. Caballero worked as a maintenance worker at the Arden Villas apartments where Marcano lived and worked. He was not considered a person of interest when investigators first spoke to him, according to Mina.
- 4:30 p.m. - A maintenance master key fob was used to enter Miya’s apartment at Arden Villas apartments. Caballero was known to have access to a master key fob, according to investigators. This is 30 minutes before Marcano would end her shift at Arden Villas.
- 5 p.m. - This is when Marcano was last seen leaving her to shift at the leasing office at Arden Villas, according to investigators.
- 5:52 p.m. - Caballero’s vehicle leaves apartment complex, according to deputies
- 7:01 p.m. - Caballero places fake maintenance call
- 7:11 p.m. - Caballero contacts apartment office staff and asks to be let in the gate, deputies said he did this as an attempt to establish an alibi.
- 7:16 p.m. - Someone used Marcano’s key fob to swipe the exterior lock to her apartment, no one enters the apartment
- 7:38 p.m. - Caballero leaves area of Arden Villas in his vehicle
- 8:20 p.m. to 8:40 p.m. - Caballero’s phone is at or near Tymber Skan Apartment where he left Miya’s body, according to deputies.
- 9:23 p.m. - Marcano’s mother calls Orange County Sheriff’s Office to report she could not reach Miya
- 9:42 p.m. Deputy dispatched to Arden Villas and arrives at 10:02 p.m. to check on the well being of Miya
- 10:30 p.m. - Marcano missed her flight home to Fort Lauderdale, according to her father.
Saturday, Sept. 25:
- 1:36 a.m. - Marcano is entered as a missing person by Orange County Sheriff’s Office
- 3:45 a.m. - The family of Miya Marcano had a confrontation with Armando Caballero in which he insists that he had nothing to do with the victim’s disappearance. The interaction is recorded on a cellphone by one of the family members.
- 8:47 a.m. - Officers with the Casselberry Police Department respond to Caballero’s apartment after a call from Marcano’s family reported Caballero was seen with a glove, backpack and a pink blanket
- 9:52 a.m. - Casselberry officers stand by while Marcano’s family looks through Caballero’s apartment with his permission
- 3 p.m. - Caballero leaves his apartment and this is the last time he is seen
- 4:30 p.m. - Detectives consider Caballero a suspect in Marcano’s disappearance
- 5:44 p.m. - Orange County detectives secure Caballero’s apartment as they write a search warrant to submit to a judge
- 5:53 p.m. - The Orange County Sheriff’s Office released a missing person’s bulletin for Marcano.
- 9: 35 p.m. - Last text message is sent from Caballero’s phone
PLEASE SHARE: This is the #missingperson bulletin for 19-year-old Miya Marcano, last seen on 9/24 at the Arden Villas apartments (3303 Arden Villas Boulevard, Orlando).— Orange County Sheriff's Office (@OrangeCoSheriff) September 25, 2021
We urge anyone with info to call the OCSO non-emergency line at 407-836-4357. If you see Miya, call 911. pic.twitter.com/ChLysuBfVD
Sunday, Sept. 26:
- 1:30 a.m. - Detectives execute search warrant on Caballero’s apartment
- 4 p.m. - News 6 sees helicopters flying over searching a wooded area behind Arden Villas Apartments.
- 6 p.m. - Marcano’s family gathers for a prayer vigil to bring the woman home.
Monday, Sept. 27:
- 10:23 a.m. - Seminole County deputies discover Armondo Caballero dead from an apparent suicide. Mina said deputies had been searching for Caballero through the weekend and had secured a warrant for his arrest on a burglary charge based on the information that a maintenance master key fob had been used to enter Marcano’s apartment.
- 1 p.m. - Mina postpones media briefing.
- 3 p.m. - Mina announced Caballero is dead. He adds that the search for Marcano continues. Caballero’s car is brought to the Orange County Sheriff’s Office to be searched for clues.
Tuesday, Sept. 28:
- 10 a.m. - Family and friends set out to search for Marcano. They began their search at the Sabal Park apartment complex in Seminole County where Caballero was found dead. Teams also searched near Colonial Landing and Blanchard Park. Volunteers handed out flyers with Marcano’s picture and details about her disappearance.
- 1 p.m. - Orange County Sheriff’s Deputies returned to Sabal Club to scour the wooded area around the apartment complex — that includes a walking trail in a right-of-way that runs the length of the property — as part of the search for Miya Marcano.
- 3:49 p.m. - Arden Villas released a statement about Marcano’s disappearance and changes the company plans to make in order to protect residents.
“After a thorough review of the ongoing reporting on the situation surrounding Ms. Marcano, we would like to provide the following factual updates. Regarding our hiring process, all potential employees are vetted through a national background check services provider. Concerning Mr. Caballero specifically, no records of either burglary or sexual assault were found, and rumors to the contrary appear to be based on online documents referencing someone else with the same name. As part of the onboarding process, all new employees undergo thorough sexual harassment deterrence training, covering aspects from recognizing what qualifies as inappropriate to how to report unwanted behavior. We take all accusations very seriously but received none from any parties involved directly or indirectly with the situation.
To ensure nothing like this happens again at Arden Villas, we are taking numerous, proactive steps to enhance our security protocols. We immediately repositioned a guard to the front gate to document all residents and guests entering and leaving the premises. Additionally, we have upgraded our maintenance procedures to allow for appointment only bookings. We are in the process of reviewing our entire security apparatus and will make changes or upgrades as warranted.
Again, we implore anyone with any information regarding either Ms. Marcano and/or Mr. Caballero as it relates to this situation to please contact the Orange County Sheriff’s Office at 407-836-4357 or the Florida Crime Line at 800-423-8477.”Arden Villas
- 7 p.m. - Family and friends gather for a prayer vigil at Arden Villas apartment complex. More than 50 people came out to the event.
Wednesday, Sept. 29:
- 9:43 a.m. - Orange County deputies gathered at Ruby Tuesday’s restaurant across the street from Arden Villas on University Boulevard as day 5 of the search for Marcano got underway. Family said the search included a wooded areas and around rivers and lakes near the Arden Villas apartments and within a 30-mile radius.
Orange County Deputies are using the parking lot of this Ruby Tuesday on University Blvd to discuss search plans for #MiyaMarcano— Ezzy Castro (@EzzyCastro) September 29, 2021
No word yet where they will be starting but we are staying out until they tell us. @news6wkmg pic.twitter.com/Tzi80K8kIK
- 7 p.m. - Family and friends gather for another prayer vigil.
Thursday, Sept. 30:
- 9:03 a,m, - Search teams arrive at Arden Villas as the search for Marcano enters day 6. Orange County deputies are expected to ramp up their search efforts at the apartment complex. Residents at the Arden Villas Apartments said they received notice that law enforcement officers will be entering all occupied garages and storage units on Thursday.
A search group just arrived at the Arden Villas Apartments. Search efforts are expected to ramp up today for missing 19-year-old Miya Marcano. pic.twitter.com/DHd0qZSBc9— Mark Lehman (@MarkLehman6) September 30, 2021
- 9:34 a.m. - A independent search group called Marco Patriots comes out Arden Villas. The group of about 10 people with a search and rescue dog is not affiliated with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office search.
- 2 p.m. - Orange County Sheriff John Mina provided an update on the search efforts for Marcano. The sheriff revealed that the search area now includes parts of Volusia County. He added that there are 60 detectives dedicated to the search and the FBI is providing technology resources to aid in the search efforts.
- 2:26 p.m. - Volunteer searchers announced they will be looking for Marcano in New Smyrna Beach. New Smyrna Beach police tweeted that Orange County deputies are conducting an investigation in the area of East 3rd Avenue and South Peninsula Avenue.
Please avoid the area of S. Peninsula and 3rd Ave. while the Orange County Sheriff’s Office is currently conducting an investigation. Use the North Causeway as an alternate. No other information is available at this time. Updates to follow.— NSBPD (@NSBPolice) September 30, 2021
Friday, Oct. 1:
- 7:48 a.m. - The Orange County Sheriff’s Office arrive to resume search efforts in New Smyrna Beach.
Search crews with @OrangeCoSheriff are arriving at the mobile command post in New Smyrna Beach. ATVs and an airboat are here for today’s search for Miya Marcano. pic.twitter.com/wCvDhbl7iI— Mark Lehman (@MarkLehman6) October 1, 2021
- 9:14 a.m. - Dozens of deputies are starting search efforts for Miya Marcano.
HAPPENING NOW: Dozens of Orange County deputies are heading out to begin today’s search for Miya Marcano in New Smyrna Beach. https://t.co/ElxqaSx6mQ pic.twitter.com/n7HkBOW5SO— Mark Lehman (@MarkLehman6) October 1, 2021
- 4 p.m. - Crimeline is offering a reward of up to $15,000 for anyone who knows the whereabouts of Marcano.
Saturday, Oct. 2:
- 1:20 p.m. - Orange County Sheriff John Mina announces a body believed to be Miya Marcano was found near Tymber Skan Condominiums
- 7:30 p.m. - Family and friends gather at Arden Villas Apartments to mourn the loss of Miya Marcano
Family and friends of Miya Marcano are gathering outside of her apartment at Arden Villas for a prayer vigil. Orange County Sheriff’s Office says her body was found this morning after a week long search for her. @news6wkmg pic.twitter.com/J8qn0tu4vo— Molly Reed (@Mollyreednews) October 2, 2021
Sunday, Oct. 3:
- 6:38 p.m. - The family and attorney of Miya Marcano held a news conference saying they “looking at all legal remedies that’s available to the family, because It’s very clear there was some negligence in this case.” The family retained civil rights attorney Daryl Washington, who added that the apartment complex where Marcano lived and worked should do more to keep residents safe.
Monday, Oct. 4:
- 11:54 a.m. - The Arden Villas team sent out an e-mail to residents detailing that “a technician from (their) gate vendor will be out this afternoon to work on the entrance gate of the community.” If the gate is not working by Monday night, the Arden Villas third-party security company plans to check the IDs of all vehicles passing through, the e-mail continued. The team will send out more information once the gate has been assessed.
Tuesday, Oct. 5:
- 10:44 a.m. - The medical examiner positively identified the body found on Oct. 2 as Miya Marcano. The news release does not specify how the 19-year-old died.
Wednesday, Oct. 6:
- 9:52 a.m. - The Marcano family’s attorney confirmed that Miya Marcano was found bound with tape around her feet and wrists and covering her mouth.
- 11: 09 a.m. - The Marcano family released cellphone video showing a confrontation between them and Caballero in which the man denies having anything to do with Miya Marcano’s disappearance.